Saturday 7 May 2011

RIP Seve - The Legend

My Golfing Hero has Passed.


Severiano "Seve" Ballesteros Sota (9 April 1957 – 7 May 2011)


What a very sad day, Seve who had fought brain cancer for 3 years sadly lost his battle today.
I have added the link to the official news broke on his website earlier today.


www.seveballesteros.com


I'm sure we all have stories of Seve, personally he was the reason that golf was appealing, like many I played a number of sports growing up to varying levels of success but it was that wining putt at St Andrews in 1984 that got me hooked.
The passion, the flamboyance, the artist, the legend........you will be sadly missed.
You lead European golf into the modern era and transformed the Ryder Cup.....never will we forget.


I was lucky enough to have met Seve in and around 1998 at Wentworth for the PGA Championship, my coach Glenn Ralph had gained access for us on the practice range and whilst he spoke with Pete Cowen I noticed Seve quietly practising on his own.....I couldn't resist, when would I get another chance to met my golfing "god". I approached and asked if I could watch him hit some balls to have a chat, the true gent that he was he said of course, for the next 30 minutes I watched in ore as he hit wedge after wedge on the range, the balls were dancing around the flag and his ability to repeat such control was memorizing.  I will never forget that day for the rest of my life, thank you Seve.
At the academy, above my desk sits a series of images as he celebrates holing that winning putt in 84, in our lounge sits proudly a signed picture from Oak Hill Ryder Cup.


Thank you for the inspiration, the entertainment, the great moments that golf will never forget and for helping our great game develop into a force to be reckoned with.


"The world is not as great now as when you walked among us" 
(Darren Bragg 7/5/2011)







No comments:

Post a Comment